The month of May is “better sleep month." We know that sleep is serious business. A beautiful bedroom starts with the bed like this gorgeous sleigh bed from the Louis Philippe Collection by Stanley Furniture, but you need the right mattress to get the most comfortable, best sleep possible. The type of sleep that you get affects every waking moment of your life. A lack of sleep can lead to mood disorders, weight gain and can stop you from doing your most productive work. 20 million Americans suffer from sleep issues and eliminating sleep problems can help you live a better life. Sleep helps us rejuvenate from the stresses of the day and our bodies need this rest to stay healthy and strong. Think about it…you spend more time in your bedroom than anywhere else. It makes sense to invest in a good night’s sleep. Why not create a Sleep Sanctuary to make sure you are getting the best sleep possible? Wouldn't you love to create a bedroom like this one? This panel bed is also from the Stanley Louis Philippe Collection.
Here are our tips for getting a better night’s sleep and creating that Sanctuary for Sleep.
1. Make time for transitioning to sleep. Make sure you give yourself some time to transition to going to sleep. A good book or a warm bath may help relax you and get you ready for a good night’s sleep.
2. Create a tech – free environment Many think that television can help you fall asleep. Not true. Television, cell phones and computers stimulate the mind and can make you stay awake longer. Create a bedroom environment that is tech-free for a better night’s sleep.
3. Pay attention to the light and temperature of your bedroom. Darkness and cool temperatures lead to getting to sleep faster and staying asleep longer. Use shades and blinds to create darkness and keep your room cool.
4. Select soothing colors and comfortable bedding.
Pick out shades for your walls and window treatment that soothe you. Maybe warm browns or ocean blues but make sure the color is calming and relaxing. This soothing bedroom above centers around the Altston Poster bed by Kincaid Furniture. When picking out bedding think natural fibers and soft cool fabrics. Stick with soothing colors and patterns for a relaxed environment that invites sleep. Belfort Furniture has a furniture design team that can help you create this environment. We also have custom bedding and window treatments that would be perfect for this project!
5. Keep it quiet. Try to create a quiet place for sleep. In some cases it’s difficult to block out the busy noise from street traffic or a local airport, but using white noise machines that mimic the ocean or the sound of a fan can help keep your sleep sanctuary quiet.
6. Stick to a routine. Whether it is a weekend or a weekday, you will sleep better if you keep your routine consistent. Try to get to bed at a similar time on the weekends that you would during the week and wake up at similar times as well. Consistency is the key!
7. Try aroma therapy. Lavender and Chamomile are two scents that can help you relax before you go to sleep. You can buy a pillow spray that lightly scents your pillows or take a warm bath with lavender and chamomile scented bubbles.
8. Limit eating before bed. Late night eating can lead to indigestion and stomach problems that can keep you awake at night. It is a good rule of thumb to stop eating two hours before going to bed.
9. Avoid caffeine, nicotine and alcohol before bed. These three items can act as stimulants and keep you awake at night. It is best to avoid all three for a good night’s sleep.
10. Nap if you can. Now this may sound counter-intuitive, but a short power nap during the day can really make you sleep better at night. Give it a try but experts say make sure it is a short power nap and not a long several hours of sleep that can disrupt your body clock and not allow for a good night’s sleep.
11. Add in some strenuous exercise. Adding some strenuous exercise each day can also help you sleep. Exercise is a great stress reliever and can help you to get better rest at night.
12. Make sure your bed is comfortable.
Adding a quality mattress to the beautiful Westview bedroom by Belfort Signature Furniture will make this the perfect sleep sanctuary. Experts say that you should consider buying a new mattress every 5 to 7 years. If you have not done this, you may need to think about replacing your mattress. You should also consider upgrading to a larger size mattress. Couples sharing a bed should have a Queen Size mattress at the very least. If you have a large family, you may need a bigger bed to get a good night’s sleep. Belfort Furniture has a few ways that we can help you get not just a good night’s sleep but a great night’s sleep. Mattress technology has changed drastically in the past few years so if you have not bought a mattress lately you are in for a pleasant surprise.
There are two mattresses that have really helped to facilitate better sleep. The Tempur-Cloud Supreme Mattress set is a great choice.
The mattress material gently conforms to your body for pillow-top comfort while reducing pressure points for less tossing and turning and more relaxing sleep. You can save up to $600 on this mattress set at Belfort Furniture, offer expires on July 8th 2012.
Another great choice for an excellent mattress that is using the latest technology to develop the best sleep surface is the Sealy Optimum collection.
Keeping cool is essential for a good restful nights sleep. The Sealy Optimum mattress has a layer of advanced opti-cool memory foam. This foam layer keeps your body cool and at the optimum temperature for your best night’s sleep. Watch this short video for more details.
If you are looking for the best selection of King, Queen, Double or Twin Mattresses with the best and latest technology to make you get the best night’s sleep, Belfort Furniture can help you. We have everything you need to create the best Sleep Sanctuary, from custom bedding, window treatments, furniture pieces, and mattresses to a design team to put it all together for you. Let us help you get your best night’s sleep possible.
Belfort Furniture is conveniently located in the Dulles area of eastern Loudoun County, Virginia, easily accessible from Loudoun and Fairfax Counties. Whether you live in Northern Virginia, Maryland, West Virginia, or Washington DC, we have the selection, styles and prices that make Belfort Furniture worth the trip! Belfort Furniture was voted “Retailer of the Year, 2012”, by National Home Furnishing Association and has been voted best furniture store in Loudoun County for 17 years in a row.